Skip to main content

No Particular Month - The Flag or the Wind?


Hello, I'm not sure I want to be here

Perhaps this blog's no longer monthly, but I certainly have no intention to let it sputter and die. I like having an outlet to express my thoughts and remind myself why I came to Korea in the first place, especially since more and more I'm wondering if all this is just some grand hobby. This is what you love. These are the things you felt important to share, I tell myself. Now if only this love could translate to a clear career path. With graduation coming up I find myself at a crossroads. Do I go back to the US? What will I do there? Is my stay in Korea at an end? Honestly, that thought terrifies me, so do I stay here? And if I stay here, what can I do?

I see my US friends getting married, having kids, buying homes, and feel like an adult-child in contrast. If I had never switched from a music major to anthropology would I be at that stage too? If I had never studied abroad would I have missed Korea so badly that I ended up on a three-year voyage to obtain a MA in a foreign country? But thinking back I was too in love with anthropology to stay in music, and then I was too in love with Korea to let an opportunity to go abroad pass me by. I'm still in love, but the pandemic and the lack of a strong community over the past three years have made my decision a lonely one. Maybe life in the US will be easier. No need to keep taking a language exam, or renew my VISA, or try to articulate health concerns in a foreign language, or be away from a community that cares about me (note the sweet words from my mom in the photo above). But at the same time, I had all these while I was working after graduation, yet no one could say I was happy. 

I recently read "Loving" by Jeong Ho-seung, a story about discovering one's place in the world, and one of the many soul-searching passages seemed to speak to my situation:

"I will ask you something. Two monks are watching a flag fluttering in the wind, and they are arguing. One monk says it's the flag that is moving, not the wind, and the other monk claims it's not the flag moving but the wind. Which of them do you think is correct?"

"Well..."

I had no idea how to answer. But when I considered the problem from my own perspective, as a wind chime, the answer seemed relatively obvious.

"It's the flag that's moving. Just as I move when the wind blows, the same principle."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, it is."

"No. It is neither the wind that moves, nor the flag. The only thing that is moving is the fractious hearts of those arguing monks."

In the end perhaps my indecisiveness says little about my options, and more about my heart. I was hoping I'd have a clear path set up by now, but should have guessed from the advice of all those who've gone before me that clear paths only become so after we've hacked away the foliage and look back on the road we've created. As I learned on an insomnia-induced call back home, it's best to accept that "this is my life right now," and be joyful in what I have rather than worry about decisions past and future.

Done with self-reflection. Here are a few things I'd like to introduce you to!

What I'm Reading-

The Island of Sea Women


The novelist, Lisa See, has written many works about Chinese or Chinese-American life, but See also wrote this well-researched novel depicting the life of a Korean haenyeo. Haenyeo are the famous female divers from Jeju Island, which sits off the West coast of the Korean peninsula. Without wetsuits or oxygen tanks these women supported their families by collecting and trading what they caught from the sea. The book follows one such haenyeo for 70 years, covering the tail-end of Japanese occupation, the 4:3 Incident which left tens of thousands of Jeju residents dead, the dictator Park Chung-Hee's social movements, and ends in the present day (2008) when the appearance of a tourist family on Jeju's shores forces the protagonist to confront past traumas. It's an excellent book for anyone interested in Korean history, or for anyone with a special interest in Jeju's talented female divers.

A haenyeo at work.

What I'm Watching

  • Korea's Hip Hop Music Awards
    • The Korean Hip-Hop Music Awards held its 5th ceremony at the end of February 2021, and all you need to know is Samual Seo won Best R&B Album.๐Ÿ‘ That's not actually all you need to know. The awards themselves were super laid back, probably because they took place in a small studio without an audience or performers. The setup made for a more intimate look at each winning artist.

  • Music Documentary: Rare Korean Funk, Folk, Soul and '60's Underground LP Bar "Kopchang Jeongol"
    • One of an 8-part series, this 30 minute documentary from Underground Archive quietly showcases an LP bar in Seoul's most happening music district.  In this episode, viewers learn about the venue Kopchang Jeongol "๊ณฑ์ฐฝ์ „๊ณจ," which plays pop songs from Korea's bygone eras. The bar has noticed a radical change in customers since the beginning of the pandemic, and those who once danced and sang freely now require encouragement from the DJ before they let loose. COVID-19 caused restrictions and bans on many live performances, and the artists miss interacting with their audiences. As one musician notes, "I heard they started streaming online concerts and found one. To be honest it was a bit of a bummer. The big draw of concerts is enjoying the experience together. That's the biggest bummer."
    • Be sure to check out the whole series to learn more about these venues and put them on your list for a later visit!

What I'm Listening to-Christian Hip hop
  • I'v become interested in believers who practice what I call, "deviant Christianity." This approach to religious content may include tattoos or body piercings, curse words, graffiti, rap, and questionable religious views. (Though depending on the angle all religious views are questionable.) As such, I've grown increasingly interested in the "deviant" genre of hip hop as a zone to wrestle with religious questions and express unorthodox views. Though some hip hop appendages, like cross necklaces, may serve no greater purpose than to "complete the look," real religious searching seems to go on in Korean hip hop and other genres. We can see this in MV aesthetics, lyrical allusions, and even blatant references to God. It seems to me musicians disenchanted with church tradition but unwilling to give up their faith take their religious battles to the artistic realm.
  • Ok, now I'm sounding too academic, but I find it so interesting that many young Koreans seem disillusioned with the church. Friends of mine choose English services, which have fewer expectations, or personal study instead. My first reaction to these revelations was, "But you can't just skip around from church to church!" or, "But you need a church family!" yet over time I've come to better understand their point of view. Sometimes people feel unable to express themselves in religious institutions, and so turn to other outlets. Rap, a genre that tends to surround morality questions, serves as a channel for individuals to express spiritual deviance without fear of losing community.
  • Since I'm interested in the relationship between hip hop and religion, I thought I'd mention some songs I've come across in my research (warning, many have curse words ๐Ÿ˜Š):
  • Swings-Holy
    • This hard-hitting song (covering 18+ minutes) relates the artist's various spiritual questions, pleas, and criticisms. Swings directs some lyrics toward God, and others at Christians who fail to act in love. For example, Swings asks why a church that is supposed to spread the teachings of Jesus might reject him from their choir due to his career as a rap musician, while the rap community, for its part, accepts Swings just as he is.
    • Below, some of my favorite lyrics from "Holy," translated from the original Korean and uploaded by u/XXOK:
That hyung (Korean word for "older brother," here referring to Jesus) was the definition of hip hop in my life
Jesus lived like he said and went through the most painful execution for sticking to his beliefs
That's the message that he left
That's his album
That's his work
That's his masterpiece
But knowing all this
When something happens
Why do we all turn into a mob of zombies who don't think?
I'm honestly scared of these events
Jesus said if someone hits one side of your cheek
Let them hit the other side
What a total badass
I hear about all the people who believe in this
And I see all the red crosses at night
But why can't I see them?
Why can't I see all the Jesus Christs?
  • Bumkey & WELOVE ft. pH-1-Holyhood
    • A song by two celebrated rappers praising God's forgiveness and mercy. The lyrics read like a worship song, but instead of a pop or rock melody, the artists provide a solid beat.
  • pH-1-Christ
    • pH-1 is a Korean-American musician and member of the successful label, H1GHR MUSIC. He's open about his Christian faith, and according to this song hopes to use it for God's glory, "based on faith in You and not emotion."
  • BewhY feat. Son Simba
    • BewhY won the fifth season of Korea's popular rap competition, Show Me The Money, and has been a well-known artist ever since. Unlike pH-1, who writes more playful or joyful lyrics, BewhY's songs contain darker themes and abrasive lyrics.
  • There are plenty more songs I'd love to cover, especially from the side of artists who don't identify as Christian yet include Christian allusions in their songs or music videos. Hopefully, I'll be able to write more about it in the future!

What I'm Writing

There is one thing I cannot grasp
Two I cannot understand
The way to lead a life lived in love
And the way of a Christian convinced of this love

(based on the framework of Proverbs. I felt this writing fit the general mood)


Rambling About a Cafe

A friend introduced me to Kettchuup about a year ago. "Why's it named Kettchuup?" I'd asked, but I don't think he knew the answer. Inside this small neighborhood cafe, two tables stand opposite the wooden counter, while a couch holding a sleepy shiba fits snugly between the wall and door. I took a picture of the shiba while waiting for our drinks.

My friend and the barista seemed to know each other and made easy conversation I couldn't follow. This made me jealous both because it proved my Korean skills were still at less than an elementary school level, and because like a child I wanted to be included. When I came alone months later, the same barista gave me a choice between two coffee blends: 1) I don't remember, and 2) something chocolately. I went with choice number two and sat at a table feeling awkward, as I was the only customer. Eventually, the barista asked how the coffee tasted ("really good,") and wrote down the title of the currently playing song for me after I asked. A couple soon came in who knew the owner, and the three sat together at the one remaining table. I focused on my first attempt at translation, but unfortunately the poem I was working on got a little descriptive and I worried one of the three might look over and think I'm some kinky foreigner, so I curled the pages inward. After a while the barista gave the couple strawberries with cream to offset their bitter americanos, then handed me a plate too. I always get a bit teary-eyed when cafes give me free food. Once I got cherry tomatoes, another time a madeleine cookie, and another time a cup of warm water. My friends tell me that last one was probably a joke.

I've been to Kettchuup a few more times. I learned the shiba's name is Do-soon, and she'll give me a high five if I feed her dried sweet potatoes.

A chocolatey coffee and the shiba, Do-soon

Photos

Drinks and sweets, February-April

My friend and I stumbled upon an exhibition detailing the events of COVID-19 so far, from its spread to the present day, change in restrictions over time, photos of mask wearers, and social issues.

Gyeongbokgung palace is always lovely.

The grumpy grandma, the cat-finated kitten, and the long-term-stay stray, snuggled up in the US.

Notable Noms: homemade dumplings with a friend. This one seemed especially happy to be given shape! 

The current exhibition at Sinchon Arts Space reminds viewers "covid-19 will come to an end"

The view from Ordinary Pit, a cafe in Yeonhui-dong
๐Ÿ˜

Forsythia on a rainy day

A Cherry Blossom day

a Cherry Blossom Ending day




Art by Soon Easy, on exhibition at Cafe Idaho. Soon Easy makes cardboard pieces that show a glaring, cynical depiction of daily life. The artist twists popular brand slogans like, "Just do it," from Nike into pieces that tell viewers, "Just don't do it," and reworks well-known phrases like the beloved chocolate quote from Forest Gump into, "Life is like a box of chocolate. Someone already took the chocolate."


Inside and outside Cafe Idaho, which seemed to be having reception problems.

A cute friend from Yeonnam-dong

A moment in Sinchon

Visited the home of one of the country's first-generation baristas, Bohemian Roasters in Gangneung.

Speaking of Gangneung, wow. I love watching the ocean so much.

Caught a sunbeam

๋๊นŒ์ง€ ํ•จ๊ป˜ ํ•ด ์ฃผ์…”์„œ ๊ณ ๋ง™์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ๋‹ค์Œ์— ๋˜ ๋งŒ๋‚˜์š”!
(Thanks for reading to the end. Let's meet again next time!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2020 "์ˆ˜๊ณ ํ–ˆ์–ด ์˜ค๋Š˜๋„ (You did well today)"

Somewhere in Seoul ์ง€๊ธˆ ํž˜๋“ค์ง€? ์ˆ˜๊ณ ํ–ˆ์–ด ์˜ค๋Š˜๋„. (soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do. "These days it's hard, right? You did well today".)  Soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do (Literally, "You made an effort today as well.") is a commonly used phrase between friends to reassure one another that each did all they could for the day, just like every other day. The word, ์ˆ˜๊ณ ํ–ˆ์–ด (soo-go-hay-so), implies not only that one did a good job but that they expended much effort and energy to complete that job. As such the receiver feels recognized and reassured that their work endeavors were not in vain. This phrase also serves as an automatic greeting between office workers after a long day, and customers give a variation of the phrase to employees at the end of an interaction (soo-go-ha-say-yo "Keep making an effort"). It's kind of like saying "Have a nice day." An artist created a cute song around the idea of ์ˆ˜๊ณ ํ–ˆ์–ด ์˜ค๋Š˜๋„, which I listened to after excellently failing the Korean langua

Oct-Dec 2020 "Comfort Me by Being Comforted"

What I'm Up To Gave myself a blogging break this past semester because these posts take more than a day to complete, and I wasn't interested in adding undue stress. I also had to spend time writing for NOVAsia , my grad school's magazine. This semester I published 2 articles, one about the relationship between K-pop and the Black Lives Matter movement , and one about Korea's "slow" consumption . I also participated in 2 podcasts covering  the US presidential election  and discussing Navajo culture with an exchange student from the Navajo nation . (I'm a novice so be kind in your criticisms, please.) I have another article about COVID-inspired street art that's currently going through its first round of editing, and I'll add a link๐Ÿ”— once it's complete. ๐Ÿ˜„ If you're interested, I do hope you'll take a look! (Link now added!) Let's see, what else?  One of the artists that inspired my article goes by the alias, Mr. Tongue. After notic

Nov/Dec 2019—Ddong and Slang

What I'm Up to *Sung to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas* ♪ In the month of December my studies asked of me~ 5+ boxes to pack 4 AM bedtime 3 long papers 2 demanding finals and a Con~fucian presentation~~~♪ I had a pretty packed last couple weeks at school, but complaining about that isn't really what I want this blog to be about. I'll just say it took about 1 1/2 weeks after coming back to the US to recover from the not-so-healthy way I treated myself during finals week and from the jetlag. Finally my headache's gone, my neck isn't sore, and I don't wake up at 2 AM hungry for a bowl of cereal anymore. I've also been able to do the things I haven't in 16 months, like bother my cat (with looove ), bake, drink proper black coffee, and receive some much needed mommy hugs. Now that I'm feeling healthy again and the busy holidays are over I'm settling in for the next 45-ish days until I return to Korea. When my family came to meet me at th

Even in Korea—/Watching the cherry blossoms bloom—/I long for Korea

K-dramaland Nostalgia With (a cardboard cutout of) the male lead of Boys Over Flowers in 2016. Even in Korea— Watching the cherry blossoms bloom— I long for Korea.*   I've lived in Korea almost 4 years, yet I often find myself wishing I lived in Korea. This being the Korea I envisioned 8 years ago when I was first introduced to the country's pop culture. My then steady diet of K-drama, K-pop, and variety shows, the most accessible entertainment options for overseas audiences, shaped my vision of Korea into a fun, romantic, and sexy country. "Korea feels like Hogwarts, a fantasy land," I'd told my friends. I knew the country was much more than that in principal, but I couldn't remove the emerald glasses I'd donned. Sometimes me and other K-culture fans would whisper about the 'dark side of Korea.' "The school system is so intense! Did you know they all wake up at 5 and sleep at midnight?" "K-pop stars are hardly allowed to eat! And th

June/July 2020–Pansori and Korean Novels

How I'm Doing Annyeonghaseyo! Is it raining where you are? Korea's experiencing its monsoon season at the moment and I'm growing gills. My hair's unmanageable, I sweat just by walking outside, and I keep getting alerts about rising waters and even a landslide. Hope nothing gets as bad as what happened to the Kim family's home in Parasite... Even though humidity reaches 90% saturation and every day experiences heavy rainfall there are still lots of people out and about. Nearly every store sets their umbrellas out front so no one will be caught without and buildings set out stations with umbrella-shaped plastic bags so water doesn't leak all over the floors. Thanks to these conveniences the rainy season doesn't feel very inconvenient, just physically uncomfortable. During these days it's best just to enjoy the rain from indoors with a cup of coffee. Kinda what monsoon season feels like Quick update on June: papers papers papers Glad we got tha

January 2020 "In the Absence"

General Update I've been in Missouri the entire month of January, but that doesn't mean I have nothing Korean-related to write about! On the contrary I've had loads of time to finish some assigned readings I was too busy for during the semester, study language, watch dramas and music videos, and overall keep up with Korea happenings. I've also had time for some silly things , like lip-syncing to Korean songs. It may not sound like a worthwhile activity but it helps with language learning and pretending to rap is just too darn fun.  ๐Ÿ˜‚ I love recreating artists' facial expressions as I try to keep up with the lyrics, but I rarely indulged in lip-syncing while living in a dorm because I was afraid my roommate would walk in unexpectantly and recognize me for the embarrassment I a m. ๐Ÿ˜ณ But now that I'm home and there's usually no one but the cat to judge me, I embrace the opportunity to look a fool. The song Miroh by Stray Kids (link) is the song I'm

Itaewon-"You have set my feet in a broad place."

Titles from articles that emerged after the October 29th crowd crush disaster. (links at bottom of page) Sometime during the pandemic, I found myself wishing to enter a "broad place," like the broad places mentioned in the Bible: "You have set my feet in a broad place; You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way; He induced you away from the mouth of distress, And instead of it, a broad place with no constraint." I took a photo of the park on top of a hill, cut out the buildings below, and wrote, "If you angle the camera just right you can almost believe it's not the middle of the city." I told a friend I wanted to visit a broad place once, and he took me to a cafe in Bukhansan. Windows covered the walls from top to bottom to show the green mountain outside. I could easily appreciate the trees, and when we walked the path outside the air smelled like rain.  YONHAP/Reuters When I left my school's dorm, I first lived in a

May 2020 "To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate"

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate This quote comes from the Studio Ghibli film, Princess Mononoke. Lots of viewers remember these words because they matter, and they matter because they speak to every situation. Why are you in Korea? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you listening to music you don't even understand? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you marching in the gay pride parade when you're not gay? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you participating in racial protests when you're white? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. I find I hate less when I'm sharing the same space and looking at the same things. This is why I came to Korea. I knew almost nothing about the peninsula until college, but then I began listening to Korean music, watching Korean shows, and eating Korean food. Meanwhile I never listened to black music, never watched films with a majority of black actors, and rarely shared meals with black people. This is how I le

February 2020 "The dog doesn't know: why you're sad today. But the dog knows: that you are sad."

How I'm Doing I think some higher power might be trying to discourage me from being in Korea. 10 days before my scheduled flight my dermatologist decided she needed to test one of moles to see if anything serious was up, then the day before I left she wanted to get the whole thing removed. So, yeah, that's how I ended up getting a minor surgery the day before a 13 hour flight. Not only did I have this health concern to think about but due to the growing corona virus threat Yonsei decided to postpone the beginning of classes 2 weeks, and they notified us that dorms would house quarantined students from Asian countries. This presented a problem since I was due to move into the dorms, so I frantically began searching for a new place to call home. I'd already bought a flight ticket for a couple days before I reached the 60 day limit my scholarship allows me to stay in another country, so even if I had no where to return to I was still required to return . The school la

August 2020- "I'm me, you're you... what do we need identities for?"

Updates on Korea's COVID Situation It got better; so much better that Ko rea was down to 9 transmissions a day and I became bolder going out. Buuuut then it got worse again and we're up to 200-400 transmissions a day. With most cases located in Seoul I've had to forgo planned get-togethers and am currently preparing for another isolating couple of weeks. (Let's not talk about why the numbers rose again; just know that the virus issue has been mixed with political and religious issues in more places than the US.) The government raised the physical distancing level to 2.5, which means 1) everyone must wear a mask in public places, 2) after 9 PM restaurants can only offer takeout, 3) franchise cafes can't offer seating, 4) churches, academies, and gyms MUST close, and 5) all my classes will, once again, meet online until midterms. (Please get better by then! ๐Ÿ˜–) From the  KCDC Website . As you can see the number of confirmed cases (blue) was pretty low for a couple mon