Skip to main content

Itaewon-"You have set my feet in a broad place."

Titles from articles that emerged after the October 29th crowd crush disaster. (links at bottom of page)

Sometime during the pandemic, I found myself wishing to enter a "broad place," like the broad places mentioned in the Bible: "You have set my feet in a broad place; You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way; He induced you away from the mouth of distress, And instead of it, a broad place with no constraint."

I took a photo of the park on top of a hill, cut out the buildings below, and wrote, "If you angle the camera just right you can almost believe it's not the middle of the city."

I told a friend I wanted to visit a broad place once, and he took me to a cafe in Bukhansan. Windows covered the walls from top to bottom to show the green mountain outside. I could easily appreciate the trees, and when we walked the path outside the air smelled like rain. 

YONHAP/Reuters
When I left my school's dorm, I first lived in a goshiwon. I could touch two opposite walls at the same time and my clothes dangled above my feet. I took my plant to the roof every morning because I didn't have a window and took it back down every night.

When COVID persisted, I began to wear a mask to the communal bathroom and kitchen, and I always wore headphones because I didn't want to bother my neighbors through the thin walls. I heard a girl crying in a nearby room late one night and didn't know if it was something a stranger could help with or if I needed to leave her alone. About 20 minutes later emergency responders banged on the goshiwon's door and rushed into her room. "You've gone through a lot, haven't you?" they said, before carrying her out on a stretcher.

Jung Yeon-Je/AFP/Getty Images
My second room was larger than the goshiwon, about the size of a walk-in closet. I saw the fullness of the city outside my window – an impressive view. Trains passed by throughout the day, and I heard ambulances come and go from the hospital. In my first month there, I went to the roof to watch a production crew film outside, and when I finished buying groceries, I stumbled upon an idol fan meet. "Excuse me? Can you speak Korean? We're filming a commercial! We're conducting a survey! We're holding an event! Please give me your number and join!"

Again, I step inside the crowded subway. Hundreds pack inside to get home from work but no one speaks because we don't want to bother anyone. But the automated woman speaks. The automated woman speaks to tell us to watch our feet as we exit. The automated woman speaks to tell us what station we've entered. The automated woman speaks and sound is invented.
(Yonhap)

I remember that when I'm in traffic, I AM the traffic, and when I'm in a crowd, I AM the crowd. I'm part of it, but it's not my fault. It's not their fault either. We didn't mean to make a crowd.

Shoes wait at a makeshift lost and found center after the Itaewon disaster. Lee Jin-man/AP
On October 29, 2022, thousands of people crowded into a small alley outside Hamilton Hotel, and 158 of them lost their lives. Individuals piled in from both sides until those in the middle couldn't move, couldn't breathe.

Whether I could have been there that night doesn't really matter. I already am the 20-something student looking to leave my small studio apartment for the night, who told her parents not to worry, who added my weight to the crowd because I was already used to living in the world's 6th most congested city, and who now needs funds to send my body back home. I am the friend who suggested visiting Itaewon to experience the heart of Korea's Halloween celebrations and now blames myself for being unable to save them. I am now the subject of every news story, pinned as the result of poorly laid plans, a political tool to put another party in power, the alleged result of sin and immorality, and an obstacle to the area's tourism opportunities.

Please Lord, set their feet in a broad place.

Seoul crowd crush: PM and police admit failures as anger grows | Seoul crowd crush | The GuardianWhere to go for mental health services if you can't speak Korean (koreatimes.co.kr)

Comments

  1. “ you have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy; you have set my feet in a broad place.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt so heartbroken when I heard the news. Always told everyone I knew that Itaewon wasn't living up to its hype in my opinion, that Hongdae was much better. Then this happened and instead of feeling this "see? I told you so", I felt genuinely sad. Sad after realizing that the next Itaewon could be any place that's just the trendiest around. Celebrities spotted in Hongdae, several new bars opening in Apgujeong, a demonstration in Euljiro, a concert in Sinchon, literally anything and there will be a huge crowd. Now I don't tell anyone that I dislike Itaewon, for now I understand that I didn't dislike the place itself, I hated the culture of hype and "crowd" fun.

    On another note, are you still in Korea? Are you fine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not in Korea at the moment, and I had just left when the crowd crush occurred. Being away made the news all the harder to process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 2020 "수고했어 오늘도 (You did well today)"

Somewhere in Seoul 지금 힘들지? 수고했어 오늘도. (soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do. "These days it's hard, right? You did well today".)  Soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do (Literally, "You made an effort today as well.") is a commonly used phrase between friends to reassure one another that each did all they could for the day, just like every other day. The word, 수고했어 (soo-go-hay-so), implies not only that one did a good job but that they expended much effort and energy to complete that job. As such the receiver feels recognized and reassured that their work endeavors were not in vain. This phrase also serves as an automatic greeting between office workers after a long day, and customers give a variation of the phrase to employees at the end of an interaction (soo-go-ha-say-yo "Keep making an effort"). It's kind of like saying "Have a nice day." An artist created a cute song around the idea of 수고했어 오늘도, which I listened to after excellently failing the Korean langua

Oct-Dec 2020 "Comfort Me by Being Comforted"

What I'm Up To Gave myself a blogging break this past semester because these posts take more than a day to complete, and I wasn't interested in adding undue stress. I also had to spend time writing for NOVAsia , my grad school's magazine. This semester I published 2 articles, one about the relationship between K-pop and the Black Lives Matter movement , and one about Korea's "slow" consumption . I also participated in 2 podcasts covering  the US presidential election  and discussing Navajo culture with an exchange student from the Navajo nation . (I'm a novice so be kind in your criticisms, please.) I have another article about COVID-inspired street art that's currently going through its first round of editing, and I'll add a link🔗 once it's complete. 😄 If you're interested, I do hope you'll take a look! (Link now added!) Let's see, what else?  One of the artists that inspired my article goes by the alias, Mr. Tongue. After notic

Even in Korea—/Watching the cherry blossoms bloom—/I long for Korea

K-dramaland Nostalgia With (a cardboard cutout of) the male lead of Boys Over Flowers in 2016. Even in Korea— Watching the cherry blossoms bloom— I long for Korea.*   I've lived in Korea almost 4 years, yet I often find myself wishing I lived in Korea. This being the Korea I envisioned 8 years ago when I was first introduced to the country's pop culture. My then steady diet of K-drama, K-pop, and variety shows, the most accessible entertainment options for overseas audiences, shaped my vision of Korea into a fun, romantic, and sexy country. "Korea feels like Hogwarts, a fantasy land," I'd told my friends. I knew the country was much more than that in principal, but I couldn't remove the emerald glasses I'd donned. Sometimes me and other K-culture fans would whisper about the 'dark side of Korea.' "The school system is so intense! Did you know they all wake up at 5 and sleep at midnight?" "K-pop stars are hardly allowed to eat! And th

June/July 2020–Pansori and Korean Novels

How I'm Doing Annyeonghaseyo! Is it raining where you are? Korea's experiencing its monsoon season at the moment and I'm growing gills. My hair's unmanageable, I sweat just by walking outside, and I keep getting alerts about rising waters and even a landslide. Hope nothing gets as bad as what happened to the Kim family's home in Parasite... Even though humidity reaches 90% saturation and every day experiences heavy rainfall there are still lots of people out and about. Nearly every store sets their umbrellas out front so no one will be caught without and buildings set out stations with umbrella-shaped plastic bags so water doesn't leak all over the floors. Thanks to these conveniences the rainy season doesn't feel very inconvenient, just physically uncomfortable. During these days it's best just to enjoy the rain from indoors with a cup of coffee. Kinda what monsoon season feels like Quick update on June: papers papers papers Glad we got tha

January 2020 "In the Absence"

General Update I've been in Missouri the entire month of January, but that doesn't mean I have nothing Korean-related to write about! On the contrary I've had loads of time to finish some assigned readings I was too busy for during the semester, study language, watch dramas and music videos, and overall keep up with Korea happenings. I've also had time for some silly things , like lip-syncing to Korean songs. It may not sound like a worthwhile activity but it helps with language learning and pretending to rap is just too darn fun.  😂 I love recreating artists' facial expressions as I try to keep up with the lyrics, but I rarely indulged in lip-syncing while living in a dorm because I was afraid my roommate would walk in unexpectantly and recognize me for the embarrassment I a m. 😳 But now that I'm home and there's usually no one but the cat to judge me, I embrace the opportunity to look a fool. The song Miroh by Stray Kids (link) is the song I'm

May 2020 "To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate"

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate This quote comes from the Studio Ghibli film, Princess Mononoke. Lots of viewers remember these words because they matter, and they matter because they speak to every situation. Why are you in Korea? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you listening to music you don't even understand? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you marching in the gay pride parade when you're not gay? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you participating in racial protests when you're white? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. I find I hate less when I'm sharing the same space and looking at the same things. This is why I came to Korea. I knew almost nothing about the peninsula until college, but then I began listening to Korean music, watching Korean shows, and eating Korean food. Meanwhile I never listened to black music, never watched films with a majority of black actors, and rarely shared meals with black people. This is how I le

February 2020 "The dog doesn't know: why you're sad today. But the dog knows: that you are sad."

How I'm Doing I think some higher power might be trying to discourage me from being in Korea. 10 days before my scheduled flight my dermatologist decided she needed to test one of moles to see if anything serious was up, then the day before I left she wanted to get the whole thing removed. So, yeah, that's how I ended up getting a minor surgery the day before a 13 hour flight. Not only did I have this health concern to think about but due to the growing corona virus threat Yonsei decided to postpone the beginning of classes 2 weeks, and they notified us that dorms would house quarantined students from Asian countries. This presented a problem since I was due to move into the dorms, so I frantically began searching for a new place to call home. I'd already bought a flight ticket for a couple days before I reached the 60 day limit my scholarship allows me to stay in another country, so even if I had no where to return to I was still required to return . The school la

Nov/Dec 2019—Ddong and Slang

What I'm Up to *Sung to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas* ♪ In the month of December my studies asked of me~ 5+ boxes to pack 4 AM bedtime 3 long papers 2 demanding finals and a Con~fucian presentation~~~♪ I had a pretty packed last couple weeks at school, but complaining about that isn't really what I want this blog to be about. I'll just say it took about 1 1/2 weeks after coming back to the US to recover from the not-so-healthy way I treated myself during finals week and from the jetlag. Finally my headache's gone, my neck isn't sore, and I don't wake up at 2 AM hungry for a bowl of cereal anymore. I've also been able to do the things I haven't in 16 months, like bother my cat (with looove ), bake, drink proper black coffee, and receive some much needed mommy hugs. Now that I'm feeling healthy again and the busy holidays are over I'm settling in for the next 45-ish days until I return to Korea. When my family came to meet me at th

August 2020- "I'm me, you're you... what do we need identities for?"

Updates on Korea's COVID Situation It got better; so much better that Ko rea was down to 9 transmissions a day and I became bolder going out. Buuuut then it got worse again and we're up to 200-400 transmissions a day. With most cases located in Seoul I've had to forgo planned get-togethers and am currently preparing for another isolating couple of weeks. (Let's not talk about why the numbers rose again; just know that the virus issue has been mixed with political and religious issues in more places than the US.) The government raised the physical distancing level to 2.5, which means 1) everyone must wear a mask in public places, 2) after 9 PM restaurants can only offer takeout, 3) franchise cafes can't offer seating, 4) churches, academies, and gyms MUST close, and 5) all my classes will, once again, meet online until midterms. (Please get better by then! 😖) From the  KCDC Website . As you can see the number of confirmed cases (blue) was pretty low for a couple mon