Skip to main content

September 2020 "Record of Youth (청춘기록)"

What I'm Up To

Still masking, still mingling

Since I moved to a one room apartment, I feel much more willing to meet friends. Every outing's still laced with anxiety but I'm no longer terrified that if I contract the virus I'll spread it to 20 other girls (which is how I felt living in the goshiwon.) It's also super nice to use my own kitchen and bathroom without needing to put on a mask to do so. 

Yeah so about the move!

Please enjoy the new pots, chair, and knives I bought for my home.😃



Moving Journey:
My empty goshiwon room→my crowded new entryway→and my organized new bedroom space! (It's still not very large where I live, and the kitchen area can't accommodate a microwave or fridge, so they're nestled in my bedroom instead. I'm just that much closer to the food, I guess.)

  

So, while I finally have a comfortable place to stay home all day this season proves as crisp and clean an autumn as any, and I don't want to miss out on the beautiful weather! Ideally I'd go to a National Park for a few days, but I'm not sure when I can make the time or who to invite, so perhaps I'll just take a hike instead. So far I've enjoyed walking the cafe-filled streets with friends and letting the fall air circulate throughout my home. Have I mentioned how much of a blessing it is to have a window? 🍂😊

What I'm Reading

Here's some words that stuck with me this September:

  • From the short story, Mildawan Days (1955) by Kim Dong-ni. He wrote about the Korean literati who fled south during the Korean War.

A cafe in Busan called Mildawon Generation
(밀마원시대) in honor of the story and
of the generation that survived the Korean War

"Jung-gu realized for the first time how good it was to have friends, that a handshake was something that could flow through your body like sweet fragrant liquor."

  • An excerpt from an article about how to approach the study of history.
"We should investigate the past not to prove our superiority but to gain humility"

  • An excerpt from a different article that points out the absurdity of assuming each nation exists as an island, disconnected from other nations. 
'After breakfast our good man settles down to read the news of the day "imprinted in characters created by the ancient Semites upon a material invented in China by a process invented in Germany. As he absorbs the accounts of foreign troubles he will, if he is a good conservative citizen, thank a Hebrew deity in an Indo-European tongue that he is 100 percent American."'

  • Isaiah 41:10
"Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with my [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice."

  • This poem by Joy Ladin

View this post on Instagram

#JoyLadin #ASelf #poemoftheday

A post shared by Avni Doshi (@avnidoshi) on

  • My thought: 

For all my wandering
For all my wandering
The ancient poet is still right

What I'm Listening to
  • Don't Be Lonely (위롭지 말아요) by No.1 Korean
    • Here's a little something for your soul. I chanced upon this band's live performance (through Youtube) and loved their big band instruments and high energy. They mix Spanish sounds with their own style and it's really exciting to watch!

           
  • RainDrop by Han Hee Jun
    • A happy song.

What I'm Watching- A Record of Youth

There are many parts of Korean life I'll never experience personally, yet thanks to Youtube I can get access to all sorts of environments. Through the medium I've learned about the coffee business, fashion trends, and obviously pop music. Recently I also became interested in school life, so I looked up vlogs and fell into a rabbit hole of student pranks, games, and other shenanigans.

Though most students sit in class sun-up to sundown they use their alloted free time in the most beneficial way possible -- messing around with friends. Here are some videos (all about 2 minutes or less) that'll show you what students around the country get up to.
  • A beautiful rendition of Frozen's "Love is an Open Door." Take note of "Anna's" commitment to his role, and the dedication with which the students nap in the back.
  • Some girls showing off their dance skillz
  • A group of friends playing a speed game.
  • Just some guys going rowing on the neighborhood moving walkway.
  • These students taking the talent show by storm.
  • These boys have to make the ultimate decision when they spot a girl on one side of the room, and a fellow student with noodles on the other.
  • Some star wars creatures participated in Student Sports Day.
  • If you want a full picture of a Korean high schooler's life this Youtuber encourages you to simply watch his 5-second vlog.

What I'm Looking at

My favorite Instagram accounts that feature scenes of Korea. The ones below show Seoul (the capital), Busan (the second largest city), ad Jeju Island. 

  • 규야 / @gyuya

  • 종혁 / @newtypehyuk
  • Matteo Škrinjar / @photos_by_matteo
  • Pilsung / @pillter_

What I'm Thinking

Last month I was fortunate enough to gain a position as editor for my school's magazine, NOVAsia. I wrote my first article at the beginning of October about the relationship between Black Lives Matter and K-pop music. (For some context, many Korean pop fans mobilized in favor of the movement this past June, and some journalists argued the nature of K-pop encouraged this mobilization. I disagree.)

I'd truly love if anyone has feedback. I'm interested in pursuing writing more seriously and would love to make my writing more accessible!

You can read it on our website below:

K-pop and Black Lives Matter: A Movement by the Fans or the Famous?

Photos

Coffees and sweets from September!

September foods (Didn't really go out so much...)

Long girl, distant boy

In case you forgot

Scenes of Seoul





끝까지 함께 해 주셔서 고맙습니다. 다음 달에 또 만나요!
(Thanks for reading to the end. Let's meet again next month!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2020 "수고했어 오늘도 (You did well today)"

Somewhere in Seoul 지금 힘들지? 수고했어 오늘도. (soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do. "These days it's hard, right? You did well today".)  Soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do (Literally, "You made an effort today as well.") is a commonly used phrase between friends to reassure one another that each did all they could for the day, just like every other day. The word, 수고했어 (soo-go-hay-so), implies not only that one did a good job but that they expended much effort and energy to complete that job. As such the receiver feels recognized and reassured that their work endeavors were not in vain. This phrase also serves as an automatic greeting between office workers after a long day, and customers give a variation of the phrase to employees at the end of an interaction (soo-go-ha-say-yo "Keep making an effort"). It's kind of like saying "Have a nice day." An artist created a cute song around the idea of 수고했어 오늘도, which I listened to after excellently failing the Korean langua

Oct-Dec 2020 "Comfort Me by Being Comforted"

What I'm Up To Gave myself a blogging break this past semester because these posts take more than a day to complete, and I wasn't interested in adding undue stress. I also had to spend time writing for NOVAsia , my grad school's magazine. This semester I published 2 articles, one about the relationship between K-pop and the Black Lives Matter movement , and one about Korea's "slow" consumption . I also participated in 2 podcasts covering  the US presidential election  and discussing Navajo culture with an exchange student from the Navajo nation . (I'm a novice so be kind in your criticisms, please.) I have another article about COVID-inspired street art that's currently going through its first round of editing, and I'll add a link🔗 once it's complete. 😄 If you're interested, I do hope you'll take a look! (Link now added!) Let's see, what else?  One of the artists that inspired my article goes by the alias, Mr. Tongue. After notic

Even in Korea—/Watching the cherry blossoms bloom—/I long for Korea

K-dramaland Nostalgia With (a cardboard cutout of) the male lead of Boys Over Flowers in 2016. Even in Korea— Watching the cherry blossoms bloom— I long for Korea.*   I've lived in Korea almost 4 years, yet I often find myself wishing I lived in Korea. This being the Korea I envisioned 8 years ago when I was first introduced to the country's pop culture. My then steady diet of K-drama, K-pop, and variety shows, the most accessible entertainment options for overseas audiences, shaped my vision of Korea into a fun, romantic, and sexy country. "Korea feels like Hogwarts, a fantasy land," I'd told my friends. I knew the country was much more than that in principal, but I couldn't remove the emerald glasses I'd donned. Sometimes me and other K-culture fans would whisper about the 'dark side of Korea.' "The school system is so intense! Did you know they all wake up at 5 and sleep at midnight?" "K-pop stars are hardly allowed to eat! And th

June/July 2020–Pansori and Korean Novels

How I'm Doing Annyeonghaseyo! Is it raining where you are? Korea's experiencing its monsoon season at the moment and I'm growing gills. My hair's unmanageable, I sweat just by walking outside, and I keep getting alerts about rising waters and even a landslide. Hope nothing gets as bad as what happened to the Kim family's home in Parasite... Even though humidity reaches 90% saturation and every day experiences heavy rainfall there are still lots of people out and about. Nearly every store sets their umbrellas out front so no one will be caught without and buildings set out stations with umbrella-shaped plastic bags so water doesn't leak all over the floors. Thanks to these conveniences the rainy season doesn't feel very inconvenient, just physically uncomfortable. During these days it's best just to enjoy the rain from indoors with a cup of coffee. Kinda what monsoon season feels like Quick update on June: papers papers papers Glad we got tha

January 2020 "In the Absence"

General Update I've been in Missouri the entire month of January, but that doesn't mean I have nothing Korean-related to write about! On the contrary I've had loads of time to finish some assigned readings I was too busy for during the semester, study language, watch dramas and music videos, and overall keep up with Korea happenings. I've also had time for some silly things , like lip-syncing to Korean songs. It may not sound like a worthwhile activity but it helps with language learning and pretending to rap is just too darn fun.  😂 I love recreating artists' facial expressions as I try to keep up with the lyrics, but I rarely indulged in lip-syncing while living in a dorm because I was afraid my roommate would walk in unexpectantly and recognize me for the embarrassment I a m. 😳 But now that I'm home and there's usually no one but the cat to judge me, I embrace the opportunity to look a fool. The song Miroh by Stray Kids (link) is the song I'm

February 2020 "The dog doesn't know: why you're sad today. But the dog knows: that you are sad."

How I'm Doing I think some higher power might be trying to discourage me from being in Korea. 10 days before my scheduled flight my dermatologist decided she needed to test one of moles to see if anything serious was up, then the day before I left she wanted to get the whole thing removed. So, yeah, that's how I ended up getting a minor surgery the day before a 13 hour flight. Not only did I have this health concern to think about but due to the growing corona virus threat Yonsei decided to postpone the beginning of classes 2 weeks, and they notified us that dorms would house quarantined students from Asian countries. This presented a problem since I was due to move into the dorms, so I frantically began searching for a new place to call home. I'd already bought a flight ticket for a couple days before I reached the 60 day limit my scholarship allows me to stay in another country, so even if I had no where to return to I was still required to return . The school la

May 2020 "To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate"

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate This quote comes from the Studio Ghibli film, Princess Mononoke. Lots of viewers remember these words because they matter, and they matter because they speak to every situation. Why are you in Korea? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you listening to music you don't even understand? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you marching in the gay pride parade when you're not gay? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you participating in racial protests when you're white? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. I find I hate less when I'm sharing the same space and looking at the same things. This is why I came to Korea. I knew almost nothing about the peninsula until college, but then I began listening to Korean music, watching Korean shows, and eating Korean food. Meanwhile I never listened to black music, never watched films with a majority of black actors, and rarely shared meals with black people. This is how I le

August 2020- "I'm me, you're you... what do we need identities for?"

Updates on Korea's COVID Situation It got better; so much better that Ko rea was down to 9 transmissions a day and I became bolder going out. Buuuut then it got worse again and we're up to 200-400 transmissions a day. With most cases located in Seoul I've had to forgo planned get-togethers and am currently preparing for another isolating couple of weeks. (Let's not talk about why the numbers rose again; just know that the virus issue has been mixed with political and religious issues in more places than the US.) The government raised the physical distancing level to 2.5, which means 1) everyone must wear a mask in public places, 2) after 9 PM restaurants can only offer takeout, 3) franchise cafes can't offer seating, 4) churches, academies, and gyms MUST close, and 5) all my classes will, once again, meet online until midterms. (Please get better by then! 😖) From the  KCDC Website . As you can see the number of confirmed cases (blue) was pretty low for a couple mon

Itaewon-"You have set my feet in a broad place."

Titles from articles that emerged after the October 29th crowd crush disaster. (links at bottom of page) Sometime during the pandemic, I found myself wishing to enter a "broad place," like the broad places mentioned in the Bible: "You have set my feet in a broad place; You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way; He induced you away from the mouth of distress, And instead of it, a broad place with no constraint." I took a photo of the park on top of a hill, cut out the buildings below, and wrote, "If you angle the camera just right you can almost believe it's not the middle of the city." I told a friend I wanted to visit a broad place once, and he took me to a cafe in Bukhansan. Windows covered the walls from top to bottom to show the green mountain outside. I could easily appreciate the trees, and when we walked the path outside the air smelled like rain.  YONHAP/Reuters When I left my school's dorm, I first lived in a

Nov/Dec 2019—Ddong and Slang

What I'm Up to *Sung to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas* ♪ In the month of December my studies asked of me~ 5+ boxes to pack 4 AM bedtime 3 long papers 2 demanding finals and a Con~fucian presentation~~~♪ I had a pretty packed last couple weeks at school, but complaining about that isn't really what I want this blog to be about. I'll just say it took about 1 1/2 weeks after coming back to the US to recover from the not-so-healthy way I treated myself during finals week and from the jetlag. Finally my headache's gone, my neck isn't sore, and I don't wake up at 2 AM hungry for a bowl of cereal anymore. I've also been able to do the things I haven't in 16 months, like bother my cat (with looove ), bake, drink proper black coffee, and receive some much needed mommy hugs. Now that I'm feeling healthy again and the busy holidays are over I'm settling in for the next 45-ish days until I return to Korea. When my family came to meet me at th