Skip to main content

August 2019 "Speechgrass"


There's lots of beautiful places near my new school,
like 연희동 (yeon-hee-dong) above!
 I think I'll have a good time exploring this area.

I finally left the countryside for good this month. It surprised me how sad I felt to see the familiar buildings pass by without any idea when I'd return to them. It's not like I was leaving my dream city, but I made good memories there and have always hated starting all over. I liked knowing what I was going to do every day, I liked going to the same restaurants and cafes, and I liked getting comfortable enough with people to share more than pleasantries. Now I'm once again a stranger to everyone and they're a stranger to me. At least I get to be here for 18 months, but I'm already dreading when the clock strikes midnight and I turn back into a pumpkin. (That's how the story goes, right?) When can I skip to the part where I'm an old grandma who's lived in the same neighborhood for 50 years?

But I'm complaining too much, aren't I? Change is hard but I've moved somewhere I really want to be to do something I really want to do, so compared to some other times in my life my satisfaction level is relatively high. I'm also confident this place will become familiar in a few short months. Yonsei University is surrounded by popular districts filled with shops, entertainment venues, cafes (my favorite), and restaurants I'm hoping to become a regular at.


About a 30 minute walk from the dorm is a secondhand shop where
 I finally bought my first English book in a year! I feel guilty when
I don't spend my time either studying Korean or studying culture
 so it took some will power to bring it to the check out counter.
Now on to the interesting stuff!

Korean Word

독후감 (dohk-hoo-gahm), when translated into natural English, means "book report." However to memorize it quickly I broke it down into the three characters which each have individual meanings of their own. 독 carries the meaning of reading, ν›„ carries the meaning of after, and 감 carries the meaning of feeling so in my head I read it as the after book feeling which is such a cute way to think of a book report!

What I'm Reading

For those of you who read my earlier newsletters you might remember I received the first Harry Potter book translated to Korean for Christmas.
The artwork is cool too!
When I first opened it I had no idea what 90% of the words meant, even after months in the Korean language program. It was discouraging to even look at so I hid it away on my bookshelf for the better part of a year, only bringing it back out after graduation. I can't say it's an easy read; I feel like a kindergartner trying to read a big kid's book to prove to myself how smart I am (which isn't super far from the truth). Harry Potter sounds like it'll be easy but it's full of difficult adjectives I've never studied and fake words I assume are unknown Korean ones until I can find nothing about them in the dictionary. However, I'm proud to say I've finally struggled through the first 2 1/2 chapters! *distant cheering* Since I've already read HP (many, many times) I can figure out where I am in the story from a few known words, so understanding the content isn't difficult. I can also compare how English sentences or phrases tend to be translated to Korean, and I hope by reading it I'll get used to the way grammar's put in practice. So even if I don't look up every unfamiliar word (and I don't because it would take forever) I'm still learning a lot.
Another way I'm working on Korean is through watching a drama I've already finished but this time without any subtitles. I mentioned the show One Spring Night last week, which I watched in English because I didn't want to miss any dialogue, but now I'm watching again so I can further familiarize myself with everyday conversation and hopefully begin to imitate it. Ideally I'd watch it AGAIN even after the second round, which sounds swell to me. I'd probably watch the drama again anyway but now I can call it studying.

Though I want to sound more like a local, I do think there's something really special about speaking in new and often awkward ways...

What I'm Thinking

...When I first studied abroad in Korea I fancied myself pretty special indeed because I could read hangul (the writing system) and knew some key phrases here and there, but in reality I had no idea how to form complete thoughts or understand more than 5% of what people said. That ego is still something I'm trying to shake off.

Because I thought myself so grand I accompanied a friend to her Korean bible study, hoping if I didn't understand I could just sit there and listen. But the group members were incredibly kind and tried really hard to include me by translating most everything into broken English. Hearing them talk about God or Jesus without any of the Christianese I'm used to hearing was really refreshing and stuck with me. ("Christianese" is the word people us to refer to the unique religious phrases Christians use in casual conversation, such as "this was such a blessing," "on fire for God," "the lord works in mysteries ways," "put this in God's hands," "mountaintop experience," etc, all terminology tossed into even non-religious conversation.) Many Christianese phrases are so overused their original meaning runs hollow. At it's worst they become nothing more than conversational fodder, but obviously Christianese isn't the only culprit of over-familiarizing language to the point of ineffectiveness; in any language plenty of phrases become so commonplace they're more like rituals, such as, "have a good day," followed by the automatic, "you too." Or, "have a good meal," also followed by the automatic, "you too," which leaves many customers feeling sheepish as they exit the drive-thru.

Olga Tokarczuk put it well in her essay for Korean Literature Now titled How Translators Are Saving the World, "It becomes an act of courage to recall a word or an idea from outside that system (of ritualized language), or to pronounce aloud a truth that is apparent though not accepted by the system. Amongst the system’s adherents, the collective language gradually becomes so obvious that it is increasingly used reflexively, words being emptied of their meaning, contexts growing too threadbare to be recalled. This sort of language turns into what is known in Polish as “speechgrass,” meaning language that’s simply there, that communicates nothing in particular, that can only be a ritual, a shouted slogan. Ideas without contours, suitable only for chants."

Though the above passage paints a negative view of the ritualized language system, I long to be part of it. Using it would distinguish me as an insider, part of the same group. Unconsciously, it may alert people I have a similar upbringing and similar values despite my foreign looks, removing one of the many barriers I have to "fitting in." 

But for the time being I'm not there yet, and until I am I hope by using awkward expressions native speakers won't be frustrated but rather pleased to hear something said in a new way. 

What I'm Listening to

Last month I wrote at length about what artists I'm listening to, but with all the moving I've been doing and meeting up with friends I've just been enjoying songs I already know. This I wanted to share a couple bands that have impressed me for a while:
The Rose
  • The Rose I don't remember how I discovered this band but I'm glad I did. The music has a soft rock vibe and the lead singer's wispy vocals are unique and really beautiful. Their first single was named one of the best Korean pop songs of 2017 by Billboard, but I'm more of a fan of the second. They're both super great though!
  • μ–΄λ₯Έμ•„이 (adult child) I discovered this band (which only has two albums that I know of) through the 2007 k-drama Coffee Prince. This is FAR removed from the pop genre, and best listened to while drinking a cup of something warm in a room lit by candles and while cuddling a cat. 
  •  μƒˆλ‘œμš΄ λ…Έλž˜ (New Songs) Again I'll include the link to my new song playlist on Spotify. It's mostly Korean music with a few others tossed in.
What I'm Watching

As mentioned above the only Korean drama I'm watching is One Spring Night (still highly recommended). Instead of beginning new shows I've focused on decreasing the 70+ YouTube videos I have saved on my "to-watch" playlist. (No matter how many videos I watch the list ALWAYS hovers around 70. Guess I gotta marathon it one of these days.) Here's a list of my favorite channels and a short description of each.
  • μ˜¨λ„ (Ondo) A Korean vlogger who posts quiet videos making food in her cute apartment, visiting cafes, making gifts for friends, shopping, and so on. She includes subtitles in English and Korean.
  • μ‘°μ‹€μ•€λ°”λ―œ Josh & Bamui These two make fun workout videos to mostly kpop songs. My friend Sophia introduced them to me and I gotta say it beats sit-ups. γ…‹γ…‹
  • Asian Boss This channel has interviewers throughout East and Southeast Asia who explore current issues or interesting subjects. They have videos with topics ranging from a man in Japan who married a hologram, to transgender women in Thailand. Many of the interviews are conducted on the street, so the views expressed are hardly representative of the entire population, but it's still a really interesting resource if you're interested in different issues around Asia.
  • Future Neighbor A Korean recipe channel that always makes me laugh and crave delicious food.
  • Sophia imo_Korean Auntie My friend started her own cooking channel! Her food is really good and she's super sweet herself. 


Extra Photos
On a Jeonju visit with a friend of mine! This lake was filled with pink lotuses, but the day was a bit uncomfortable because of the humidity. Thankfully it's mostly gone now and fall is on the way!

 How one goes out when it's too hot to fix one's hair and makeup.

 The last week at church I'd ben attending during language school. Though I sometimes had issues with the church everyone was so kind to me throughout the year, and even gave me a Starbucks thermos before I left!

Some gifts from my friend from Oman. I'm going to miss these lovely people.

Enjoying one of our last meals together: Jjimdak! (μ°œλ‹­)

Korea and Japan relations have never been great, but now they're going through a trade war that's arguably grown out of remaining hurts from the colonial period. Cities and even our university in made signs like the one below encouraging most Korean people to ban Japanese goods. Some places are even giving discounts to those who can prove they've cancelled plane tickets to Japan. One of my professors says relations are worse now than they've been in decades.
The sign reads:
'Don't go' 'Don't buy'
Let's protect the sovereignty of the Republic of Korea!

Food time! Seafood udon at a restaurant that opened RIGHT BEFORE WE LEFT. Ah, 아쉽닀.

Enjoying some cafΓ© time and using up all the film in my camera.

Our last night together. :'(

I stayed with my friend and her husband during my two homeless weeks before the dorms at Yonsei opened. During that time they were so kind to not only share their food and home with me, but also take me on trips around Seoul! This lovely library is in COEX mall, and though it was a prime place for pictures it was much too loud and crowded to get proper reading done.

With the gang from an English speaking church I went to as an exchange student and visited again while staying nearby. It's an hour away from Yonsei though, so I'm debating whether I should find a closer community. But I'm very thankful for this group and would love to at least visit!

Just your monthly dose of awkward English! I don't find this a great example of using language in a new way to give it some life, but it does make me smile.

This was just a funny thing that happened while reading automatic translations online. Even the classics can't escape the havoc of google translate!

Here's some cafes I went to this past month, and one home pic because my friend's French toast was too lovely to leave out.

Orientation was on August 27th and I was so excited I couldn't even take a proper picture.

 λ§ˆλ¬΄λ¦¬κΉŒμ§€ μ½μ–΄μ£Όμ…”μ„œ κ°μ‚¬ν•©λ‹ˆλ‹€! See you next month!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2020 "μˆ˜κ³ ν–ˆμ–΄ μ˜€λŠ˜λ„ (You did well today)"

Somewhere in Seoul μ§€κΈˆ νž˜λ“€μ§€? μˆ˜κ³ ν–ˆμ–΄ μ˜€λŠ˜λ„. (soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do. "These days it's hard, right? You did well today".)  Soo-go-hay-so oh-neul-do (Literally, "You made an effort today as well.") is a commonly used phrase between friends to reassure one another that each did all they could for the day, just like every other day. The word, μˆ˜κ³ ν–ˆμ–΄ (soo-go-hay-so), implies not only that one did a good job but that they expended much effort and energy to complete that job. As such the receiver feels recognized and reassured that their work endeavors were not in vain. This phrase also serves as an automatic greeting between office workers after a long day, and customers give a variation of the phrase to employees at the end of an interaction (soo-go-ha-say-yo "Keep making an effort"). It's kind of like saying "Have a nice day." An artist created a cute song around the idea of μˆ˜κ³ ν–ˆμ–΄ μ˜€λŠ˜λ„, which I listened to after excellently failing the Korean langua

Oct-Dec 2020 "Comfort Me by Being Comforted"

What I'm Up To Gave myself a blogging break this past semester because these posts take more than a day to complete, and I wasn't interested in adding undue stress. I also had to spend time writing for NOVAsia , my grad school's magazine. This semester I published 2 articles, one about the relationship between K-pop and the Black Lives Matter movement , and one about Korea's "slow" consumption . I also participated in 2 podcasts covering  the US presidential election  and discussing Navajo culture with an exchange student from the Navajo nation . (I'm a novice so be kind in your criticisms, please.) I have another article about COVID-inspired street art that's currently going through its first round of editing, and I'll add a linkπŸ”— once it's complete. πŸ˜„ If you're interested, I do hope you'll take a look! (Link now added!) Let's see, what else?  One of the artists that inspired my article goes by the alias, Mr. Tongue. After notic

Even in Korea—/Watching the cherry blossoms bloom—/I long for Korea

K-dramaland Nostalgia With (a cardboard cutout of) the male lead of Boys Over Flowers in 2016. Even in Korea— Watching the cherry blossoms bloom— I long for Korea.*   I've lived in Korea almost 4 years, yet I often find myself wishing I lived in Korea. This being the Korea I envisioned 8 years ago when I was first introduced to the country's pop culture. My then steady diet of K-drama, K-pop, and variety shows, the most accessible entertainment options for overseas audiences, shaped my vision of Korea into a fun, romantic, and sexy country. "Korea feels like Hogwarts, a fantasy land," I'd told my friends. I knew the country was much more than that in principal, but I couldn't remove the emerald glasses I'd donned. Sometimes me and other K-culture fans would whisper about the 'dark side of Korea.' "The school system is so intense! Did you know they all wake up at 5 and sleep at midnight?" "K-pop stars are hardly allowed to eat! And th

June/July 2020–Pansori and Korean Novels

How I'm Doing Annyeonghaseyo! Is it raining where you are? Korea's experiencing its monsoon season at the moment and I'm growing gills. My hair's unmanageable, I sweat just by walking outside, and I keep getting alerts about rising waters and even a landslide. Hope nothing gets as bad as what happened to the Kim family's home in Parasite... Even though humidity reaches 90% saturation and every day experiences heavy rainfall there are still lots of people out and about. Nearly every store sets their umbrellas out front so no one will be caught without and buildings set out stations with umbrella-shaped plastic bags so water doesn't leak all over the floors. Thanks to these conveniences the rainy season doesn't feel very inconvenient, just physically uncomfortable. During these days it's best just to enjoy the rain from indoors with a cup of coffee. Kinda what monsoon season feels like Quick update on June: papers papers papers Glad we got tha

Nov/Dec 2019—Ddong and Slang

What I'm Up to *Sung to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas* ♪ In the month of December my studies asked of me~ 5+ boxes to pack 4 AM bedtime 3 long papers 2 demanding finals and a Con~fucian presentation~~~♪ I had a pretty packed last couple weeks at school, but complaining about that isn't really what I want this blog to be about. I'll just say it took about 1 1/2 weeks after coming back to the US to recover from the not-so-healthy way I treated myself during finals week and from the jetlag. Finally my headache's gone, my neck isn't sore, and I don't wake up at 2 AM hungry for a bowl of cereal anymore. I've also been able to do the things I haven't in 16 months, like bother my cat (with looove ), bake, drink proper black coffee, and receive some much needed mommy hugs. Now that I'm feeling healthy again and the busy holidays are over I'm settling in for the next 45-ish days until I return to Korea. When my family came to meet me at th

January 2020 "In the Absence"

General Update I've been in Missouri the entire month of January, but that doesn't mean I have nothing Korean-related to write about! On the contrary I've had loads of time to finish some assigned readings I was too busy for during the semester, study language, watch dramas and music videos, and overall keep up with Korea happenings. I've also had time for some silly things , like lip-syncing to Korean songs. It may not sound like a worthwhile activity but it helps with language learning and pretending to rap is just too darn fun.  πŸ˜‚ I love recreating artists' facial expressions as I try to keep up with the lyrics, but I rarely indulged in lip-syncing while living in a dorm because I was afraid my roommate would walk in unexpectantly and recognize me for the embarrassment I a m. 😳 But now that I'm home and there's usually no one but the cat to judge me, I embrace the opportunity to look a fool. The song Miroh by Stray Kids (link) is the song I'm

Itaewon-"You have set my feet in a broad place."

Titles from articles that emerged after the October 29th crowd crush disaster. (links at bottom of page) Sometime during the pandemic, I found myself wishing to enter a "broad place," like the broad places mentioned in the Bible: "You have set my feet in a broad place; You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way; He induced you away from the mouth of distress, And instead of it, a broad place with no constraint." I took a photo of the park on top of a hill, cut out the buildings below, and wrote, "If you angle the camera just right you can almost believe it's not the middle of the city." I told a friend I wanted to visit a broad place once, and he took me to a cafe in Bukhansan. Windows covered the walls from top to bottom to show the green mountain outside. I could easily appreciate the trees, and when we walked the path outside the air smelled like rain.  YONHAP/Reuters When I left my school's dorm, I first lived in a

February 2020 "The dog doesn't know: why you're sad today. But the dog knows: that you are sad."

How I'm Doing I think some higher power might be trying to discourage me from being in Korea. 10 days before my scheduled flight my dermatologist decided she needed to test one of moles to see if anything serious was up, then the day before I left she wanted to get the whole thing removed. So, yeah, that's how I ended up getting a minor surgery the day before a 13 hour flight. Not only did I have this health concern to think about but due to the growing corona virus threat Yonsei decided to postpone the beginning of classes 2 weeks, and they notified us that dorms would house quarantined students from Asian countries. This presented a problem since I was due to move into the dorms, so I frantically began searching for a new place to call home. I'd already bought a flight ticket for a couple days before I reached the 60 day limit my scholarship allows me to stay in another country, so even if I had no where to return to I was still required to return . The school la

May 2020 "To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate"

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate This quote comes from the Studio Ghibli film, Princess Mononoke. Lots of viewers remember these words because they matter, and they matter because they speak to every situation. Why are you in Korea? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you listening to music you don't even understand? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you marching in the gay pride parade when you're not gay? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. Why are you participating in racial protests when you're white? To see with eyes unclouded by hate. I find I hate less when I'm sharing the same space and looking at the same things. This is why I came to Korea. I knew almost nothing about the peninsula until college, but then I began listening to Korean music, watching Korean shows, and eating Korean food. Meanwhile I never listened to black music, never watched films with a majority of black actors, and rarely shared meals with black people. This is how I le

August 2020- "I'm me, you're you... what do we need identities for?"

Updates on Korea's COVID Situation It got better; so much better that Ko rea was down to 9 transmissions a day and I became bolder going out. Buuuut then it got worse again and we're up to 200-400 transmissions a day. With most cases located in Seoul I've had to forgo planned get-togethers and am currently preparing for another isolating couple of weeks. (Let's not talk about why the numbers rose again; just know that the virus issue has been mixed with political and religious issues in more places than the US.) The government raised the physical distancing level to 2.5, which means 1) everyone must wear a mask in public places, 2) after 9 PM restaurants can only offer takeout, 3) franchise cafes can't offer seating, 4) churches, academies, and gyms MUST close, and 5) all my classes will, once again, meet online until midterms. (Please get better by then! πŸ˜–) From the  KCDC Website . As you can see the number of confirmed cases (blue) was pretty low for a couple mon